This 49 CFR Shipping step by step compliance process is full of valuable information to correctly prepare hazardous materials shipments for ground transport. Use as a reference on the job. The following is a step-by-step process for preparing fully regulated shipments. Use this process, along with the content of your 49 CFR training and the 49 CFR Hazardous Materials Regulations, to ensure that all of the applicable requirements for classification, identification, packing, marking, labeling, and documentation are met. Whether you’re considering 49 CFR Shipping by Ground Online Hazmat Training for the first time, or simply need to brush up your skills- use this list as a starting point.
Please note: This guidance is NOT meant to replace the regulations. Be sure to check regulatory references to determine if they affect your shipment.
The 12 Key Steps in 49 CFR Shipping by Ground Online Hazmat Training
- Determine if the substance is CLASSIFIED as a hazardous material in transportation. Most shippers will use section 14 on the material’s Safety Data Sheet (SDS). If the material is a hazardous material, the UN Number, and proper shipping name most likely will be found there. It may also be provided in the company’s shipping system.
- If the information is not listed on an SDS or in the shipping system, the hazard class/division must be determined by comparing the physical characteristics of the materials with the classification criteria found in 49 CFR 173 Subpart D.
- If the information on the physical characteristics of the material is not available, testing must be performed to determine the hazard class(es).
- This section may also provide information about whether the material is a HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE. Check 49 CFR 172.101 Appendix A to see if the material or its components are listed. If the material is being shipped at a quantity equal or above the listed RQ, the material is a hazardous substance and must be identified as such on the package and shipping document.
- Check the Hazardous Materials Table (49 CFR 172.101, Columns 2 and 4) for the UN/ID NUMBER AND PROPER SHIPPING NAME. If there is a “G” in column 1, the technical name must be shown in parenthesis with the proper shipping name. (49 CFR 172.101(b)(4))
- Some print versions of the 49 CFR provide a Numerical “Cross-Reference” table to use if only the UN number for the material is provided. Locations for this table vary so be sure to check with the publisher of your book for its location.
- Note the PRIMARY AND SUBSIDIARY HAZARD CLASSES/DIVISIONS (Column 6) and PACKING GROUP (Column 5) of the material. If more than one packing group is listed, check the SDS to determine which packing group to apply.
- Determine if the material is permitted to be transported by GROUND in non-bulk packaging. Look at Column 8B. If the word “NONE” appears in the column, the material must not be shipped.
- Read all SPECIAL PROVISIONS listed in Column 7. Special provisions are found in 49 CFR 172.102.
- If the material is not forbidden for transport in non-bulk packaging, go to the PACKING AUTHORIZATION listed in Column 8B. To find the authorization, the 3-digit number is preceded by “173.”. If “150” is listed in Column 8A, the packaging authorization can be found in “173.150”.
- Ensure the packaging complies with the general requirements for packaging in 173.24 and 173.24a and the specific provisions found in the packaging authorization.
- Prepare the PACKAGING following the packaging authorization and the manufacturer’s closure instructions.
- MARK AND LABEL the package as required. (49 CFR 172 Subparts D & E)
- If preparing an OVERPACK, make sure to:
- Check 49 CFR 177.848 for segregation requirements,
- Duplicate all labels and markings on the outside of the overpack,
- Mark the outside of the overpack with the OVERPACK marking, and
- Add the overpack identification mark if required.
- Complete the HAZARDOUS MATERIALS SHIPPING PAPER. (49 CFR 172, Subpart C)
- Provide appropriate EMERGENCY RESPONSE INFORMATION. (49 CFR 172, Subpart G)
Finally, offer PLACARDS to the trucking company as required by 49 CFR 172 Subpart F.
Learn More with Hazmat University
In the world of DG Shipping, compliance is king. If you feel intimidated at first- don’t be! Our team of veteran DG Shipping professionals are here to guide you in our easy-to-access series of hazmat training courses. Consider 49 CFR Shipping by Ground Online Hazmat Training with us today, and get ready to be competent, be confident, and be compliant. Contact us today to get started.
We are Thankful for You!
Handling dangerous goods is a challenging job to say the least and we are beyond grateful to have the opportunity to work with you all.
For the remainder of the month, enjoy 20% off Online Training, 20% off new ShipHazmat annual subscriptions, and 10% off Custom Webinar and On-site Training.
For online training, use promo code THANKS20 at checkout to receive 20% off your order. For all other discounts, please contact our customer service team using the button below and let us know which services you would like to arrange.